Aquaponics is a revolutionary technological concept
that was created as a way to mimic mutually beneficial natural systems.
Vegetables and fish grow together as the combination of aquaculture,
(growing fish in tanks or ponds), and hydroponics (growing vegetables
without soil). An aquaponic garden system is a highly efficient,
scalable solution for many of our most pressing problems. The system
acts as a living laboratory, allowing communities the opportunity to
empower one another using science, applied permaculture technology,
engineering, art, math, aquaculture, ecology, conservation, biology,
entrepreneurship, and more.
- Aquaponics uses up to 90% less water than conventional farming methods;
- Aquaponics produces up to ten times more vegetables and crops in the same amount of space and time;
- Aquaponics uses up to 75% less energy than almost any other farming method;
- Aquaponics is guaranteed to be free from chemical fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides and other chemicals;
- Aquaponics require only about 1/2 the labor necessary for almost all other food production methods;
- Aquaponics virtually eliminates weeds, pests, diseases, viruses and pathogens for both aquatic and plant life alike;
- Aquaponics can be used in almost any situation and can range in size, from desk top systems to large scale commercial farms;
- This symbiotic relationship is highly efficient and sustainable, and the system is naturally a zero waste loop.