Live Oak Harvest Festival
Saturday, October 6, 2012, 11am-5pm. RAIN OR SHINE!
Directions and Parking Options
The Santa Cruz Live Oak Green Grange is located at 1900 17th Avenue between Capitola Road and Rodriguez St. in Santa Cruz. From Hwy 1 North or South take the Soquel Ave. Exit 439.
Parking at the Grange is limited. We encourage people to walk, bike, carpool, or take public transportation! The closest bus stop is route 69 at Capitola Rd. and 17th Ave.
Overflow parking is available at the Harbor Light Church or Live Family Resource Center on 17th Ave., and Live Oak Senior Center on Capitola Rd.
Harvest Festival Main Attractions
- Heirloom Fruit Tasting – Sponsored by Tierra Madre Farm, Fruitalicious Farms, Rider Farms, and the California Rare Fruit Growers. For $3, you will be able to taste and compare many selections of apples and pears, and talk with growers about the varieties and how they might do in your garden. Children are invited to taste for $1
Pie Baking Contest & Entry Guidelines
Enter your best pie or enjoy judging the pies!
Pie bakers can win $50 cash for the best pie! To
enter the Live Oak Harvest Festival pie baking contest, bakers must submit at
least 2 pies of the same type at the pie table no later than 11:30AM on October
6. Please submit your pies with an index card that tells what kind of pie
you've made or any other special ingredients and information you'd like to
share with the judges. The winner of the contest will be selected and announced
Pie lovers can participates as judges and pick their favorite pie by purchasing 3 slices for $6.00. Single slices of pie will be sold for $3.00.
Play carnival games with local farmers and community! Everyone wins FREE Garden Seeds from the Demeter Seed Saving Cooperative!
Carnival tickets can be purchased from the Live Oak Grange member table at the event. One dollar = one ticket. Most games cost between one-two tickets. Many games and activities are free! Carnival Games and sponsoring farmer's and Community Organizations include:- Chicken Coop Tour and Farm Animal - Visit our hen house and learn about urban egg production in your own backyard from our 'Chicken Tenders'. Observe farm animals and learn about small scale animal care.
Making Tierra Madre
- Pumpkin (Pie) Walk Earth Rhythm Farm
- Pumpkin Patch Storytellers Slow Food Santa Cruz
- Flower Seed Harvesting - Junior Grange
- Vermiculture and Composting Presentation - Join us for a presentation of our worm bins and learn how you can raise worms and harvest worm castings from your kitchen scraps. Learn some basic methods for composting successfully in your own backyard. Paul Mcgillicuddy will share his expertise with us between 1pm and 3pm so stop by the worm bins and check out his displays.
Painting by Madaline Tomlison
- Apple Cider Press Junior Grange
- Scarecrow Bean Toss Swanton Berry Farm
- Fishing for Survival Red Cross Santa Cruz Chapter
Live Oak Family Resource Center
- Live Music 1:30pm Sing along with Robby and Friends
- Pumpkin Sale and Pumpkin Carving
Buy and carve your Halloween pumpkins at the Festival!